There are so many San Diego dance classes as well as Chicago dance classes available that it can be hard to decide which one is most suitable for your little one. What ages are most appropriate for different types of dance classes? Do some require parent involvement? Are some more active than others? These are all common questions and concerns when it comes to choosing the perfect dance class for your child. Here is a guide of all different types of dance classes explaining what they offer, the appropriate ages, parent involvement and what skills your child will gain. Read on to find out which dance class your superstar will rock:
Ballet Dance Classes
A ballet class for kids focuses on ballet technique as well as strength, balance and grace. Kids will begin to work on body alignment and posture while learning positions and developing strong muscles. A pre-ballet class is great for any age as young as two but when advancing to classical lines, it would be ideal for your child to be at the age of six and above.
Creative Movement Dance Classes
This kids dance class is perfect for those as young as 14 months to 2 years. These dance classes are less formal and less structured in order to acclimate toddlers to a dance class. These classes focus more on basic motor, listening and expressive skills. Your child will be introduced to all sorts of beginning dance steps such as ballet, tap and hip hop in fun and creative ways. Depending on the dance studio or other dance classes in Chicago, parent involvement is most likely a requirement to encourage and support the little ones.
Hip Hop Dance Classes
Hip Hop dance classes for kids are an energetic and expressive option for your child. This category of dance focuses on rhythm, basic hip hop dance
moves and creativity. More advanced hip hop dance classes will go into breakdancing and more challenging choreography. Students can learn the latest moves in a hip hop dance class while also applying their own personal and original style. Even a two year old can bust out a move in this exciting class as it focuses on creativity, confidence and individualism. Depending on the age of the kids, there may be tentative parent involvement.
Tap Dance Classes
Tap is a great dance class for all ages especially the young ones. Tap involves creative movement and sounds of the feet as well as fun and expressive ways to let loose and have fun. San Diego dance classes offer a combination tap and ballet class meaning the first half of dance class is tap and the second is ballet. This is an excellent option for a beginning dancer as young as two years old since tap and ballet are a strong foundation for other kids dance classes.
Jazz Dance Classes
Jazz incorporates techniques and dance moves from a variety of dance styles ranging from contemporary to lyrical and much more. Exciting pop music is usually played during jazz dance class and the movements are imaginative and expressive. High kicks, leaps and turns are just a few of the moves these classes teach. Jazz is appropriate for older ages such as six and above. If your not yet ready to have your child take a jazz class, try taking a ballet class first since jazz tends to build off moves taught in ballet.
Contemporary Dance Classes
Contemporary dance combines many elements of dance such as ballet, jazz and lyrical. Based on modern dance techniques, these movements are quick, expressive and reflective. This type of dance is innovative and full of interpretation combining all types of dance into modern movements. Contemporary is appropriate for those wanting to express themselves as much as possible.
All kids dance classes are beneficial for your little one. Each and every one has it’s own unique movements and talents to offer. We recommend having your child test out many different kids dance classes to see what they like best and go from there. All dancing is good dancing and we hope that you found this guide helpful! If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to let us know!
Keeping your child active and engaged can be challenging at times, especially in these summer months. However, kids dance classes and summer day camps are a great way to make the process easier. Not only will physical activity make your child healthier; it will also improve self esteem and confidence. Check out some of the reasons these activities can keep your child moving and grooving.
Summer Camp: A great tool for engagement!
Kids summer camps are one of many ways to keep your child active. First and foremost, they offer new and exciting activities for your little one to try such as a karate, swimming or dance camp where your child can participate in learning new skills, making art projects and fun games all in one. These activities enable your child to open their minds and learn new skills such as social and educational ones all while having loads of fun. In summer day camps like these, your kid will have the opportunity to fully express themselves and maybe even find a new passion or hobby to engage in.
Secondly, by participating in these summer camps, your child will not only activate their minds but will keep them activated and engaged by having to follow important directions and learn these new skills they are presented with. When the learning session is done for the day, summer day camps will almost always involve a craft time or a free time where your little one can engage his/her creative side or just spend time with newfound friends. This activation of the mind and learning of new activities will prove to increase your child's self esteem; whether they are enjoying new friends or have just mastered a new skill, confidence levels will raise immensely. Along with this constant engagement comes constant physical activity. Rather your little one is walking from task to task, participating in obstacle courses or busting a move with a new friend; Summer day camp will ensure that your child is active and participating in some sort of way.
Dance classes: A powerful encouragement tool
Not quite ready to have your child go to a summer day camp? No problem! Classes are another excellent option to keep your child energetic and focused. This shorter amount of time will ensure engagement and involvement in classes such as kids dance classes. These classes such as hip hop or tap dance class will result in active learning. As fun as it is to take our favorite class over and over again, taking a different variety of classes can be extremely beneficial. By taking all different types of classes, your child will not only develop different gross motor skills but will also develop a willingness to try new things.
Although it can be scary for our little one’s to try something new, it is rewarding to them in more ways than one. Engaging in new idea’s and activities will enhance your child’s self assurance and confidence by proving to them that they can accomplish anything they set their mind on. The outcome may just be a new dream for your superstar.
Making sure your child is active and engaged should be fun and enjoyable for you and them. The best way to do this is to introduce your child to a number of activities as early as possible. There are several options out there varying from fun Summer day camps to new and exciting dance classes that will hopefully make being active the best part of your little one’s day! If you have any further comments or questions on any of these subjects please do not hesitate to let us know, we love hearing from our families!
What to Look for in Kids Dance Classes
When choosing a kids dance class there are a few things to keep in mind. Other than just looking at the teachers, it is important to also get informed about the studio at which your child will be dancing. We have put together a small list of things which will hopefully get you thinking about the right dance classes for your child.
The first and most important thing to think about, of course, is EXPERIENCED TEACHERS.
When first looking at a kids dance class, it is crucial to ask about the teachers. You want to know who will be handling your child's dancing education and in which ways they can impact your child. Ask about the instructor’s qualifications and what background they have with teaching. Did they take any early development classes? Do they have any type of teaching certification? It’s also good to ask if they have experience dealing with children in critical situations such as possessing a CPR certification that could save a child’s life. At Dance to EvOLvE we focus on hiring teachers who are not only amazing dancers but are also great with children and have a strong background. They also have to take our own Dance to EvOLvE courses every once in a while so that we can make sure our curriculum is unified and enforced. You may also want to think about getting to know their ideas about dance. Even though someone may be a great teacher, it is important that their ideas match up with what you want for your child.
What is their teaching philosophy?
Speaking of teachers ideas about dance, it’s a good idea to get to know the company philosophy. What are their core beliefs and what do they plan to instill in your child? Do they believe in large or small dance class sizes? You want to make sure that whatever they may be, those ideas are going to benefit you kid. Take a look at Dance to EvOLvE’s mission http://www.dancetoevolve.com/san-diego/about-evolve/mission/. Our philosophy is “Your Choice.Our Knowledge. Their Fun!” It’s easy to find and we are held to it! Look for every studios mission statement or philosophy and make sure it’s easy to find!
Research the reputation of the studio and the classes
It never hurts to check out what other people have said about the dance studio you are looking into. Positive feedback is always good reassurement. One question to ask is how long has the dance studio been around and how well established are they? Usually studios with a good number of students shows that they have a solid client base and that the customers are happy with their kids dance class. See what you can find about them on the internet and ask around to find out if any of your friends are familiar with them so your child can participate in the best dance class possible.
How are they about parental involvement?
Something a lot of parents worry about is how open studios are to allowing parental involvement in the dance class? In most studios it just depends on the dancer’s ages. Younger dancers should usually be allowed to have parents in the room but for the older kids it can get loud and distracting when there are parents talking to one another or even talking to their kids during dance class. This can get frustrating so it’s generally better that for older kids, parents stay outside. However, there should be an area to watch the dancers and keep an eye on your kids if you decide to stay for class. Also, try and find dance classes that offer parent involvement once in a while so that you can come into class and actively see what your child is doing. At Dance to EvOLvE, there is a parent observation day where parents can come into class and watch their children learn new things during dance class. Parent’s love to come in and the audience is great for the dancers! Another important thing is communication between teachers and the parents. You as a parent never want to feel left in the dark about what is happening in class so make sure that there is open communication with teachers at the studio and that you can always call and talk to someone about any concerns you may have.
We hope that this guide was helpful to you when looking for kids dance classes. If there are any other suggestions you may have feel free to let us know! We love to hear the comments so that we can provide better help and more support for the rest of you!
Chicago is one of the busiest cities in America, with all the hustling and bustling it can be difficult for families to find good and close options for their kid’s dance classes. Public transportation can be such a hassle during any day of the week and no one wants to add any more extra time to their commute. Worse than the time spent on the commute is the stress of having to carry around a ton of different stuff with you! So before you commit to a specific studio, its important to make sure that the location is right. Location, location, location! With location being so crucial, Dance to EvOLvE has made it a mission to provide convenient access to residents all over Chicago! We want to help you figure out what will work for you and what you should be looking for in Chicago!
First off, no matter where you are located there is definitely an opportunity to dance for your kids! When searching for a dance studio near you, try and narrow down your search to make sure you aren’t stuck commuting to a studio that’s too far and difficult to get to! There are multiple ways that you can do this. First check the zip code and find out how long the commute will take not taking into consideration traffic or congestion on public transportation. Then test it out. See how long and how difficult it will be for you to get your kids to the studio that day and time for their dance class. It’s always helpful when the studio is located in easy to access areas especially near public transportation! Also think about how many times a week you will be commuting to this location. It doesn’t seem so bad once but that time does add up!
Knowing how important convenience is to parents, Dance to EvOLvE has made it a priority to provide accomodating locations so that families in multiple areas of Chicago can easily find a studio near them! What makes this easier for us is that unlike a traditional studio which is established in one location with a front desk in place at that studio, Dance to EvOLvE is a traveling studio with multiple locations throughout the city which allows parents more options and convenience when choosing dance classes! Dance to EvOLvE offers dance classes for kids in some of the most accessible areas of Chicago! Bucktown, Edgewater, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview are already established with dance classes in session now, and Evanston is a new location coming soon! Every location offers the most popular types of genres including ballet, tap and hip hop for kids of a variety of ages! Check out Dance To EvOLvE’s dance class schedule and browse through the rest of the site now and see which classes, times and locations are most suitable for your family!
There's so much dance in Chicago that there's opportunity for everyone. It's just about going out and finding what’s right for you and your family. Dance is something that is supposed to make people happy and provide some stress relief, so don’t let the difficulties of searching for a good location take a toll on the enjoyment of it all! Being prepared and knowing what to look for when embarking on your search for a great kids dance studio saves a ton of time and is really important to your dancer in the long run! Hopefully this article helped you brainstorm and as always we love to hear our reader’s opinions! That being said...what are you waiting for?? Let's get dancing in Chicago!
How many parents out there are starting to think about summer camps and vacations?! Summer is filled with so many different options for families to explore. It’s a great time for kids to try new things for as little or as long as they want and find interests that may last through the next year and beyond! So when choosing a summer camp for your kid’s, give them a break from the sun and heat and consider a summer hip hop camp! A Summer Hip Hop Dance camp allows kids to try a fun and modern genre of dance, work quickly towards a performance, and learn in a fun, relaxing environment. Here are some reasons why trying a summer hip hop dance camp could be an awesome experience for your kids!
1. Keep the Juices Flowing: Throughout the school year, kids spend their days learning new things and building their understanding and knowledge. Summer dance camps are a great resource to keep triggering kid’s brains in a fun and athletic way through physical and observational learning so that their minds keep working until the start of the next school year. Students memorize sequences of steps, rhythm patterns in music, spacing, and formations, keeping those brains active! Studies show that when we make split-second, quick decisions (like when we dance), we create new neuron pathways that increase our intelligence. Give your kids a break from school but keep their minds engaged through dancing!
2. Give Them A Sun Break: We all want to enjoy the sunshine this time of year and we know that kids will run around all day enjoying the heat but many parents might appreciate an alternative way to keep them busy. Dance camps typically take place inside with maybe a snack, lunch, game, or craft break outside for fresh air. Switch up your summer camps a bit and give your child some variation for dealing with the warm weather.
3. Try Something New: Many parents are interested in short commitments for their children until they find what they are truly passionate about. Summer is the perfect time to try a dance style like hip hop to see what really gets a kid moving! Boys and girls love dancing to the latest songs at home and with their friends so bring along everyone and let them experience the excitement of learning moves to their favorite jams! It will never get boring with new and up to date music and the kids will be having a blast for the week!
4. Get Maximum Creativity: If your child is drawn to creativity, summer hip hop camps are a perfect fit! Kids get many chances to share their creativity through movement, games, arts and crafts, and songs. Dance is one of the best ways for kids to express themselves and they will love learning, creating and performing dances that truly come from the heart!
5. Make New Friends: Dancing creates a team-like atmosphere because the participants must work together to create the finished product. Because camps tend to be half day, many kids will schedule play dates with new friends after camp too! This is a great way for kids to make new friends and create special memories that will last a life time!
You can find hip hop dance camps through your local studios, community centers, or creative arts programs. Dance to EvOLvE offers hip hop dance camps multiple times this summer and you can find the information for camp dates here! Start searching now and see what kinds of options are available to you this summer! There are so many great exepriences in store for you and your family!
With summer just around the corner, time is ticking and the pressure is on to find the right summer camp in San Diego for your kids! But don’t worry! You’re not alone and we have put a helpful guide together to help you in your search for the perfect children’s summer camp!
1. The first and most important thing is the staff:
Every parent is worried about whom they will be leaving their children with all day and that is a completely normal and important concern. That is why it is important to look for a camp which hires experienced staff that will make you and your child feel comfortable. The more experience the better! Try and look for staff that is child friendly and will help your kids feel welcome when they come to camp alone. Other than the friendliness, make sure the camp leaders have been thoroughly inspected by the organization and have passed a security check. If you aren't sure as to what reputable staff looks like, take a look at the EvOLvE list of friendly teachers and read about how we select our awesome staff!
2. Look at the goals:
When choosing a summer camp in San Diego, it is important to look for the goals that they have set for the children! Make sure summer is not only a time for fun but for learning
as well. The best camps will provide a variety of activities for your children which will enhance your child’s learning skills, and improve their social skills along with teamwork! Look for a camp which really emphasizes the skills you would like your child to develop and is supportive in your child’s dreams!
3. How hard do they push?
It seems like a weird question at first but it’s definitely one of some importance. During a day camp your child will be kept busy with different sorts of activities. Although these activities can be healthy and beneficial, it is important to not push children too hard and allow them plenty of breaks. Ask about the amount of breaks they will be getting throughout the day, how many potty breaks, snack breaks, etc. What about downtime? Is there a time in the schedule when the kids can take a break from all of the commotion and listen to a story or take a short nap? Even with just a day camp, kids might get overworked and tired so be sure to check if the summer camp you’re looking at provides the right combination of fun and relaxation. For a great reference on how a camp schedule should look like. Check out EvOlvE's camp schedules.
As a parent, it is not pleasant being left out of the loop and not knowing what your child is up to all day. Make sure that the camp you are looking at supports open communication between parents, staff and children. Also, as a parent, you want to stay included and have access to any information about your child at all times. It makes you feel comfortable and safe leaving your child in their hands every day.
Last but certainly not least, ask yourself if your child will really enjoy this camp! Don’t settle for an average summer camp. Summer is a time for adventure and fun, a time to let your child’s curiosity soar. Dance to EvOLvE prides itself on providing children opportunity to have an amazing time learning and creating with their wonderful teacher. Kids love it and it's not only fun but also beneficial for them. So talk with your children and find out exactly what they want and sign them up for a camp, such as a dance camp for example, that will provide them with a variety of activities, challenging and fun, and one that they will miss when they are finished with! This will save a huge hassle of having to switch camps or rearrange plans!
Make the most of this summer and be smart with your decisions! We hope you consider some of these questions when searching for a summer camp in San Diego. Let us know if there are any additional tips for choosing camps or if you have any comments, don’t be shy!
San Diego Summer Camps
Hey parents! Summer is just around the corner and you’ve probably started wondering about what to do with your kiddo this summer. With the huge variety of kids summer camps that are offered throughout the city having to choose one for your child might make your head spin! To make it a little easier for you, we have put together a list with a few different genres of kid’s summer camps and some of the best options San Diego has to offer.
If you know your child has a creative imagination, here are some great artsy kids camps. For the arts and crafts lovers, the New Children’s Museum is hosting project based camps for children as young as four! Your child will get a ton of attention from the professional art teachers and real artists running the camp! If you want to make sure it’s the right camp for your little one, check out their open house on Friday June 14th!
If your child likes to move and groove to music, there are a ton of studios in San Diego offering summer dance camps. Check out the specialized themes that Dance To EvOLvE hosts throughout the summer. Summer dance camp is the perfect place for your children to build friendships, confidence and comfortability with meeting new people. There are a variety of themes from the Royalty of Fairyland and superhero themed for the youngest dancers to Hip Hop, Creative Explorers and more for the older kids, it’s never a boring day for the campers! It also provides children with important team work skills that they will learn through dancing and choreographing together. Also, at the end of the summer, the kids get to overcome their shyness and show off all that they have learned in a performance held at the end of each summer dance program.
If your child loves to be outside and active then don’t be afraid to sign them up for a camp that will let them explore the wonders of the outdoors! The YMCA is one of the more traditional summer camps with lots of outdoor activities for the active kids! It’s perfect for the adventurer who isn’t afraid to get their shoes muddy!
How about seeing if your kiddo will enjoy a new sport before signing them up next year? Try out this non-competitive soccer camp offered by Little Rascalz Soccer School! It gives the kids a chance to get out their energy while learning some new skills! Super cute and they even allow parent participation!
Bring the mad scientist out in your child by letting them explore the world of science to choose from a variety of different themes with different topics for your science enthusiast to discover! at the Balboa Park museums! Check out the science camps offered at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Museum! With summer camps offered for kids of all ages, your kiddo will be able
The San Diego Museum of Man offers a ton of different camps for kids of different agesand interests! From the creative ones to the curious ones, they will learn all about science, myths and mysteries!
Hopefully this was a helpful guide and will make your brainstorming process easier! We hope that your child has fun with any kid’s summer camp that they choose! And for the parent’s who want a bigger variety, take a look at this site that shows you tons the camps being offered this summer! http://www.sandiegosummercamps.org/
Let us know if you have any awesome suggestions for San Diego summer camps or if you have any comments about the ones we posted!
The first day of dance class is something to be excited about...it can also raise a lot of questions, though! What should we expect? How can we get ready? What will we experience and what does my child need to wear? In hopes of answering these questions (and more!), we've outlined a few things you can do for your dancer to give them a fanatistc first experience.
1. Talk About The Class Ahead Of Time: It’s a great idea to talk about the new dance class beforehand so that your dancer knows what to expect. For the toddler dance classes and older, it’s important your dancer knows ahead of time that you will not be going into the room. Offer ongoing encouragement such as “I’m going to be so proud of you to watch you dance with the big kids.” “I will be right outside if you need me.” “You are going to have so much fun.” “We will do something special afterwards for my big boy/girl dancer like get ice-cream.” “You are in a big kid class now, so mommy’s/ daddy’s have to sit outside.” This way, there are no surprises.
2. Meet The Teacher Ahead Of Time: Use the teacher’s name when talking about the class ahead of time and show them the dance teacher’s bio and picture to get your tiny tot excited to meet their new teacher.
3. Bring A Friend: It always adds to the fun and eases any butterfly nerves to have a friendly face with you. Invite a friend to join by having them schedule a trial dance class.
4. Come Dressed Appropriately: It also helps, especially for the young dancers, to understand they are going to a structured class (versus unstructured playtime) if they are wearing the appropriate clothing. We do not require you to buy anything specific, but get creative on the clothes choices to make them feel like a dancer. If you are ready to make a purchase, receive 10% off your first order with discountdance.com by using Dance To EvOLvE's code TP35961. You will also find affordable dance attire and shoes at stores such as Target, Payless, and sometimes Walmart. If you do not have the ballet or tap shoes, just let your dancer know you are going to try it for today and if s/he likes it, then you will get the fun dance shoes.
5. Get Involved: If your dancer is participating in Baby Boppers or Magical Munchkins the more you get involved, the more engaged your dancer will be and the sooner they will start doing the activities on their own. If your dancer is in an older class, just stay near-by (at least that first day) so s/he has the visible comfort of you close-by.
Remember, every dancer’s first experience will be different, depending on their age, the type of class they attend and their past experiences. And yes, tears are normal! Adjusting to a new activity can take time and it is very common for it to take a few classes before a new dancer is comfortable and fully engaged. The best thing to do is give it some time because only time will tell.
We can't wait to get dancing with your little one!
Your child will be taken care of and looked after in the many local San Diego After School Programs. This short guide will give you some information to help you make an informed decision for your child. Luckily, there are many after school programs in San Diego to choose from! While some may be specific programs such as Mad Science which provides science enrichment, others like the YMCA serve as a resource database for how to get started on the right path.
1) Boys & Girls Clubs Of Greater San Diego has safe, affordable & fun after school programs for kids. The BGCGSD has four locations in San Diego and provides quality youth programs for kids ages 5-18 years old. Two after school programs that BGCGSD offers are the S.T.E.P. U.P. Curriculum For Our Programs and Formula For Impact.
S.T.E.P. U.P. is a structure and philosophy that targets the five core program areas of: Education & Career Development, Character & Leadership Development, Health & Life Skills, The Arts and Sports, Fitness & Recreation. Formula for Impact incorporates specific, targeted programs and high-yield learning activities to achieve the three priority outcomes of Academic Success, Good Character and Citizenship, and Healthy Lifestyles.This option for after school programs in San Diego is a good one because it has a dedicated professional staff who care for their members as well as affordable after school pricing and programs that inspire hope and opportunity within a safe environment. Click Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego for more information.
2) The YMCA of San Diego County provides nurturing child care. They have a childcare resource service worth checking out. The Y or YMCA provides families with information about options for child care, and more specifically how to choose a quality program that meets their family's needs.A free referral database makes the after school program search accessible with a listing of all licensed child care centers, nanny agencies, and license-exempt school based programs. Community care licensing is another option as well. From the resource center, you can find information on how to choose child care, where to find after school programs for kids, and the cost of child care. Everything is done to promote youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
3) Mad Science has a mission to spark imaginative learning through their after school programs, birthday parties, shows and special events, camps, in-class workshops, and preschool programs. As the leading science enrichment provider for children in preschool through 6th grade, Mad Science of San Diego has over 150,000 students who have participated in their After School Programs. Hands-on courses meet once per week, after school for one hour. All programs include demonstrations with qualified and dynamic instructors, and students make and take home a science project related to the class topic each week. All classes are held at your child's school, which is pretty convenient. This is a program perfect for kids in grades K-6 who aspire to be scientists or just want to have fun and learn science at the same time.
4) The PrimeTime Extended Day Program caters to the San Diego Unified School District. Designed by experts in child development, education and youth leadership, PrimeTime provides kids of elementary and middle school ages a fun and engaging learning environment during the hours most parents/guardians are working. In the PrimeTime environment, students can “get in the Zone” by participating in a learning zone, which includes improvement of reading, writing, verbal, math, science, social and communication skills, and a fun zone comprised of many team-building activities and interaction among kids. PrimeTime requires an application process, but all participating families get free child care. In addition, the program leaders and staff enjoy making a positive impact on today’s youth. Check out PrimeTime for your dancer today. Dance To EvOLvE teaches at after school programs like PrimeTime. With after school programs structured differently from six-week to year-round programs, Dance To EvOLvE has three types of programs. From Dance! Design! Direct to Dance Classes and Music Classes, this program works with youth in elementary, middle, and high schools in San Diego. The dance teachers will not only teach your kids the fundamentals but inspire them through hip-hop, cheer, jazz, modern, ballet, latin dances, and zumbatomic rhythms. Music classes encourage singing, moving, and playing different styles of instruments.
Dance To EvOLvE’s after school program in San Diego is flexible to fit your schedule and budget. Be sure to consider this unique program. As you can see by now, there are many options for after school programs for your kids. San Diego just so happens to be a city with lots of good choices! Of course all the programs each have their pros and cons, but each one is special in its own way. Make sure to find the after school program that fits best with your child. We hope this guide helps you find a great after school program in San Diego. Happy Searching!
To a lot of people, Chicago is one of the greatest city's in America. With so much to do, things to see, and people to meet, how could you not love it? What most people don't know or aren't aware of, is that Chicago has some of the best dance shows, programs, and classes out there. It is home to hidden dance gems throughout the city. While actually taking the stage and dancing might not be for everyone, there's a dance for everyone.
There's definitely not a lack of dance programs in the city for you to choose from. While there are a plethura of well-known dance companies, there are some smaller ones that are just as beneficial to dancers and non-dancers. Some companies offer you the opportunity to perform in front of live audiences, while some are meant for the sole purpose of gaining more knowledge and experience with a particular genre of dance. Then there are those classes that you go into to move for the whole purpose of moving. If you love to dance, you need to check out one of Chicago's many dance classes. Everyone should dance, Chicago!
If you'd rather watch someone else dance, Chicago has many professional and student based dance companies that put on performances throughout the year. Whether you're interested in ballet, hip hop, jazz, latin, or ballroom there's always something for you to go see.
Some of the Chicago favorites are The Nutcracker Ballet performed by both professional and student groups, spontaneous street Hip Hop performances, or Salsa nightclubs where the professionals show off their moves. You are always filled with dance, Chicago!
On top of the fact that Chicago has a multitude of dance programs to choose from...the dance festivals are unlimited here. Summer brings all sorts of dance festivals to the city: Latin, Jazz, Hip Hop, etc. If you want to be outside listening to great music and dancing, summer in Chicago is where it's at. You make it hard not to dance, Chicago!
Whether you want to be in the spotlight or watching from your chair, there's so much dance in Chicago that there's something for everyone. It's just about going out and finding what speaks to you. Dance is something that makes most people happy and that most people can do or enjoy on a certain level, so if it's out there then you should become a part of it. So...what are you waiting for?? Let's get dancing in Chicago!