Kids Hip Hop Classes
Hip Hop Dance is a category of dance that encompasses a variety of urban styles. The primary styles within this wide range include but are not limited to: breaking, locking and popping. Hip Hop dance is not a studio-evolved style and saw no formal beginning, instead, it was developed on the street in urban neighborhoods. Hip hop can come in many different styles with a variety of music...find an age appropriate hip hop class for your dancer! Check out our hip hop classes available for ages 2-12 for children, tween or middle school hip hop dance classes.
A Brief History of Hip Hop:
- Black and Latino Americans were the creators of uprock and breaking in the Bronx of New York, whereas Black Americans in California created popping, roboting, boogalo and locking - or the funk style.
- Hip Hop dance became widely known in the 1970s after the first professional street-based crews formed in the USA.
- In the 1980s, hip hop social dancing started to develop, with novelty and fad dances such as the Roger Rabbit, the Cabbage Patch, and the Worm becoming widely popularized. Who can forget those fun dances?
Did you know? Hip Hop Fun Facts:
- The word 'hip hop' means popular urban youth culture.
- You can burn up to 388 calories in 60 minutes of hip hop dancing. Dance is a Sport!