How many parents out there are starting to think about summer camps and vacations?! Summer is filled with so many different options for families to explore. Kids (even the young ones!) can participate in programs with many different time frame options allowing them to try something new for as long or little as they want. Why not try a summer dance camp to take a break from the sun and heat? Summer dance camps typically allow kids to try different styles of dance, work quickly towards a performance, and learn in a fun, relaxing environment. Read on to see why dancing in the summer is such a fun time of the year!
1. Keep The Juices Flowing: Throughout the school year, kids are learning all day, every day. Summer dance camps are a great resource to trigger their brains in a fun and athletic way through physical and observational learning. Students memorize sequences of steps, rhythm patterns in music, spacing, and formations, keeping those brains active! Studies show that when we make split-second, quick decisions (like when we dance), we create new neuron pathways that increase our intelligence. Give your kids a break from school but keep their minds engaged through dancing!
2. Give Them A Sun Break: We all want to enjoy the sunshine this time of year but many kids appreciate some time out of the heat here and there. Dance camps typically take place inside with maybe a snack, lunch, game, or craft break outside for fresh air. Switch up your summer camps a bit and give your child some variation for dealing with the heat.
3. Explore New Dance Styles: Many parents are interested in short commitments for their children until they find what they are truly passionate about. Summer is the perfect time to try new dance styles like ballet, tap, and hip hop to see what really gets a kid moving! Many dance camps offer a crash course to a specific style or they fuse several styles within a week and focus more on fun. If one style isn't a good fit for whatever reason, a dancer will quickly move on to another after a day or a week. If you are looking for serious improvement, check out a summer dance intensive.
4. Get Maximum Creativity: If your child is drawn to creativity, summer dance camps are a perfect fit! Kids get many chances to share their creativity through movement, games, arts and crafts, and songs. Some dance camps even involve costume design, choreography mentoring, and hair and make-up techniques for the stage!
5. Make New Friends: Dancing creates a team-like atmosphere because the participants must work together to create the finished product. Because camps tend to be half day, many kids will schedule play dates with new friends after camp too! This is a great way for kids to make new friends and create special memories that will last a life time!
You can find dance camps through your local studios, community centers, or creative arts programs. Do a search online and see what kinds of options you have for this summer! Registration typically starts early so stay ahead of the game and reserve your spot! We hope this helped and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to let us know!