Kid's Hip Hop Classes In Chicago
Hip Hop Dance is a type of dance that uses a wide range of urban styles. The most common styles within this range include but are not limited to: breaking, locking and popping. Hip Hop dance is not a studio-evolved format of dance and had no formal beginning; instead, it was created on the street in urban neighborhoods. Check out our children's and tween hip hop classes available for ages 2-12.
A Brief History of Hip Hop:
- Black and Latino Americans were the starters of uprock and breaking in the Bronx in New York, whereas Black Americans in California created locking, popping, roboting, boogalo and locking - or the funk style
- Hip Hop dancing became really well known in the 1970s after the first professional street-based dance crews formed in the USA
- In the 1980s, hip hop social dancing was starting to develop, with beginner and fad dances such as the Roger Rabbit, the Cabbage Patch, and the Worm becoming widely popularized
Hip Hop Fun Facts:
- The word hip hop means popular urban youth culture
- Get moving! You can sweat off up to 388 calories in 60 minutes of dancing. Dance is a Sport!