Welcome to Dance to Evolve
11 tips to help you get hired by a dance studio
11 tips to help you get hired by a dance studio
To be a good dance teacher, one needs a ton of experience in a few different areas. When dance studios hire, they are looking for someone who will create a following of students who continue to enroll in more dance classes. So how do you get started?
Check out our 11 step guide
1. First and foremost, you need to become an expert in the style of dance you teach. Take classes and/or observe other teaching styles from as many different instructors as you can. This will open your mind to various teaching techniques, new inspiration, and what is appropriate for students of different ages and levels of experience.
2. Try getting into a program where you can be a dance teacher’s assistant or co-choreographer. Working with someone else and getting their feedback will not only improve your teaching skills but also introduce you to the world of teaching. Many dance studios will focus on nurturing their assistants into teachers as they see improvement and dedication progress.
3. Figure out which age group you are most comfortable with. It’s common for people to interview with dance studios and say: “I work with all ages!” While this may be true, different age groups require different skills and knowledge from their teacher. To be a truly successful teacher, you must have a deep understanding of how your voice, energy, manner, language, and attire all adjust based on the ages you work with. That skill of knowing what is appropriate comes with experience.
4. Understand what kind of dance studios you’d like to work for. Is your specialty competition choreography, creative movement, fitness-based classes, classical technique? Just because you are a good fit for one kind of studio does not mean you are a good fit for all of them. The more specific you can be about your talents, the easier it will be for you to find employment.
5. A good teacher is also a good learner. If you get critiques from students, parents, or employers, listen! Sometimes little changes in your teaching habits can make a huge difference. The volume of music, the pace of your class, and how clearly you cue are all very easy things to fix. You’d be surprised how many times students get turned off by minor issues. If you don’t take the time to listen and adjust, registration will suffer. Being a good dance teacher is an ongoing journey.
6. Network, network, network! Make dance friends of all shapes and sizes. Word of mouth in the dance world goes a long way. If people know you have a teaching talent in a specific area, they are more likely to recommend you for jobs and send new students your way.
7. In the beginning, you should take any sub or teaching opportunity you can. Do not expect to get chunks of classes back to back your first year or two. You may be driving to teach an hour here and an hour there for a bit until you build your resume and can afford to be pickier.
8. Use social media to let people know where and what time you are teaching. You will gain confidence knowing you have the support of friends and family… and confidence is imperative for a dance teacher. The studio you teach at will also appreciate your help in growing their classes.
9. If you know of any dance teacher seminars to help with your class management, check them out. Read articles or books about what you are teaching or how to be a better teacher. There are so many tricks and tools out there to use to your advantage.
10. Get passionate about what you are teaching. If you come from a genuine place of excitement, that feeds off on your students and makes your class addictive. The best teachers are the ones who absolutely love what they teach and share that love with everyone around them.
11. Take the extra time to bond with your students. Let them know you notice them. Chat a little before and after class. Give positive reinforcement. Keep your class playful and fun. No one wants to go to a class where they don’t get attention. People like to feel special and recognized.
The best teachers are knowledgeable, likable, creative, and experienced. So take advantage of the above tools and develop yourself!
“Just want to say that Ms. Shirley is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. She is great…so full of energy and there is not one dull moment in class. Ms. Shirley keeps them engaged the whole time and my daughter can quite bored and distracted quickly and she stays involved the entire class with Ms. Shirley…so I just wanted to say thank you!”
“We first discovered Dance to EvOLvE through a free dance program they put on at the local library. Since then, my daughter has been taking a Tiny Movers class for almost a year now (tap/ballet combo) and she absolutely loves it! Miss Amy is an AWESOME teacher! She is very knowledgeable about dance and makes the classes fun, age-appropriate, and encouraging for the kids. We’ve done a few makeup classes also and all the other teachers we encountered were so friendly, professional, and great with the kids. The company makeup policy is very flexible, which was so helpful when we had to miss class due to illness or travel. My daughter recently participated in her first recital and it was SO GREAT! The teachers did an incredible job preparing for a quality show. The dances were eclectic, the costumes were top-notch, the price was reasonable, and the kids seemed to have a great time! Overall, we have LOVED our experience with Dance to EvOLvE and plan to continue classes this summer and fall and beyond. We highly recommend this company if you’re looking for dance classes for your child!”
“Brittany White is a consummate professional who has created a unique and outstanding dance instruction enterprise with Dance to EvOLvE. From the moment I met Brittany and she presented her teaching concept to me, I was sold! I was fortunate to have Brittany and her staff teach dance to my middle school students at a large and successful after school program for several years. EvOLvE staff did not just instruct dance, but showed the students how to choreograph their own dances, a skill and talent that will last them their lifetimes. The EvOLvE student dancers loved their dance classes and teachers very much! I watched students transform from shy and reserved to outgoing and adventurous dancers and choreographers under EvOLvE’s tutelage. Both the dance classes and all student performances were truly first class. Brittany is also an excellent and well organized event planner on top of her knowledge of dance and teaching. I highly recommend Brittany White and Dance to EvOLvE!”
“My daughter is constantly playing ‘I’m Ms. Sara and you’re taking my dance class.’ She uses all the terms she has learned– passé, arabesque, heel-toe, etc. and leads her little sister, her dad and myself in a class, helping us out if we are doing a move incorrectly. She even gives us a sticker on our hand and a hug when ‘class’ is over. :-)”
“I enrolled my daughter in a tap/ballet class through our community rec center. The instructors with Dance to EvOLvE provided age-appropriate direction for the children, and kept it fun and engaging for the hour-long class! My daughter absolutely loved class. I’ll definitely be signing her up for the next semester!”
“Thank you so much! I know that my daughter will enjoy this season. EvOLvE has been a great experience for her! We were so surprised and pleased when we saw her get up in front of an audience and introduce a dance number and more than one! That is something she would never have done before EvOLvE.”
“We have only just started dance classes with our 2 year old but my daughter loves it so far and cannot wait to go to her next class. Miss Megan is a great teacher, very patient and positively reinforcing with the little kiddos. I highly recommend both Miss Megan and the organization as a whole.”
“I wanted to let you know how much we absolutely loved the recital. It was so well done and so much fun. Having the teachers dance at the end was a fun surprise and we really enjoyed that! My daughter started taking classes with EvOLvE in April and this is her first experience with dance. We adore her teacher, she is so wonderful with the girls. Thank you for making her first dance recital such a wonderful experience for her. She’s still doing her tap dance all over the house!”
“I saw a review of EvOLvE come up in my Yelp feed and decided to give it a try. My daughter is 2.5 and the ballet/tap class was exactly what I was looking for! Short (45min), simply and fun! Her teacher was absolutely wonderful! She is bright, sweet, encouraging yet strict. All the girls were having a great time! If you’re looking for a hard core competitive dance class for your child this is not for you but if you want something easy and fun then sign up! Prices are very reasonable too!”
“We enrolled the girls on Saturday and they loved the class! They’re also really excited to be doing tap for the recital this year! My husband and I were just talking about how much we appreciate the high quality program you run at EvOLvE. Thanks to all of you for the wonderful job you do with our children!”
“My daughter is currently enrolled in the Saturday class and I plan to sign her up again for the fall session. She really loves the teacher, Miss Andrea.”
“So happy to see the progress in the parent observation class today. Just wanted to share how extremely happy we are with our experience here. Miss Andrea has done an AMAZING job with my daughter and helping her develop a love for dance! Thank you for an excellent experience!”
“Ms Andrea has developed such a wonderful rapport with all the students. My daughter is extremely shy and following a year of instruction at another ballet school we decided to try Dance To EvOLvE. My daughter has since blossomed and has really developed a love for dance and I think that is attributed to the great job Miss Andrea has done.”
“We started with Dance To EvOLvE a few months ago, and my daughter loves it! Miss Megan is so patient with the girls and does such a good job on keeping them focused! We will continue to attend the tap and ballet combo class and I would recommend it to anyone with kids boys or girls!”
“We love Dance to EvOLvE! We started in the Magical Munchkins class when my daughter was two. It was so hard to find a class for that age, and this one was perfect. Super fun and quick pace to keep their attention, my daughter loved it. She has now been going non-stop (just took 2 months off for summer) and she looks forward to it every week (as do I)! She has now moved up to the Star Shiners class, and is learning a lot. She loves practicing her moves at home. If you are looking for a non-competitive and fun environment to learn dance, this is a great option.”
“I love what dance class is doing for my daughter. She’s a really shy little girl. Since taking these classes, she’s really come out of her shell. She’s created new friendships as well. Ms. Andrea is amazing with all the little girls. My daughter talks about what Ms. Andrea taught her as soon as we get home.”
“We were not going to have Liliana in the recital and changed our minds. I thought she would just stand there on stage but she really enjoyed herself today. I want to thank you guys, especially Andrea, for helping my little shy girl come out of her shell a bit more. She is really loving dance and pretty much spends the whole day moving and singing.”
“I also wanted to let you know how much we absolutely loved the recital. It was so well done and so much fun. Having the teachers dance at the end was a fun surprise and we really enjoyed that! My daughter started taking classes with EvOLvE in April and this is her first experience with dance. We adore Miss Jenny and she is so wonderful with the girls. Thank you for making her first dance recital such a wonderful experience for her. She’s still doing her tap dance all over the house!”